Healthcare Haven in The Woodlands
By Nickole Kerner Bobley
During the Covid-19 global pandemic, it has been comforting to know our access to top tier healthcare is simply a stone’s throw from our own backyards.
As population grew, The Woodlands Hospital, now Memorial Hermann The Woodlands Medical Center, became the first hospital to open in the community in 1985. Today, with its myriad of major hospitals, care centers, and service providers, The Woodlands has become a medical hub that is unrivaled in the Houston region outside of the Texas Medical Center. In fact, outside of major transplants, all of the medical needs of The Woodlands residents can be met right here in our hometown.
Hubs are not born. They are created.
Over the past 36 years, The Howard Hughes Corporation, formerly The Woodlands Corporation, has made it part of their mission and vision to bring world-class healthcare to The Woodlands. Howard Hughes has successfully produced a robust healthcare center to support its modern way of living in The Woodlands. In addition, Howard Hughes partnered with MD Anderson to build a new state-of-the-art cancer treatment facility here in The Woodlands.
“The original master plan of The Woodlands included the dream of creating a world-class medical center and service level within our community. Through thoughtful planning, effective partnerships with all of these amazing providers, and patience, we believe the original planners would be quite pleased with the results. The best part is, it continues to get better and better, and we look forward to providing additional medical amenities to our community as market demand grows,” said Jim Carman, President – Houston Region for The Howard Hughes Corporation.
The Woodlands’ medical community is the perfect intertwining of medical science, technology, architecture and talented people power.
“The growth of our regional medical community has been extraordinary,” said Debra F. Sukin, CEO, Houston Methodist The Woodlands Hospital and Regional Senior Vice President, Houston Methodist. “Houston Methodist The Woodlands Hospital, the fourth hospital to open in The Woodlands and eighth in the Houston Methodist system, is a full service, acute care hospital building upon our rich history of clinical excellence in the Texas Medical Center. We are proud to provide high-quality and innovative health care to serve the needs of The Woodlands community.”
Within an approximate five-mile radius, six remarkable healthcare providers are proud to serve area residents. They are:
- CHI St. Luke’s Health – The Woodlands: Clinically affiliated with Baylor College of Medicine, Texas Heart® Institute and others; and more than 30 services and specialty areas including cardiovascular care, rehabilitation services and emergency care.
- CHI St. Luke’s Health – Lakeside Hospital: Concentration in sports medicine, general and interventional cardiology and orthopedics, diagnostic imaging and inpatient and outpatient care.
- Houston Methodist The Woodlands Hospital: Full-service, acute care hospital with a long list of services and care including comprehensive cancer care, heart and vascular, women’s services and more. The Woodlands location offers many of the same programs and services as their flagship hospital in the Texas Medical Center.
- Memorial Hermann The Woodlands Medical Center: A 397-bed, full-service, comprehensive and acute care center offering more than 90 medical specialties. Institutions include IRONMAN Sports Medicine Institute, Heart & Vascular Care, TIRR Memorial Hermann Inpatient and Outpatient Rehabilitation and more. Currently, a $250 million expansion is underway which includes a 332,510-square-foot, eight floor South Tower. The tower will house six additional operating rooms, 36-bed patient care unit, intensive care unit, cardiopulmonary and catherization labs and more.
- Texas Children’s Hospital The Woodlands: As the area’s first free-standing pediatric hospital, they offer a 24/7 pediatric Emergency Center, PICU, NICU, pediatric surgery, inpatient and outpatient services, more than 20 specialty clinics, physical medicine and rehabilitation.
- University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center The Woodlands: Treats all types of cancers and offers expertise with nine cancers including breast, endocrine, neurologic and more. The center offers treatment support services including cancer pain management, diagnostic imaging, and physical therapy and occupational therapy and more.
“With a long list of accolades, top rankings and recognition for all these hospital systems, The Woodlands offers an array of healthcare options that are convenient and close to home,” notes Carman.
A benefit of living in The Woodlands is its healthcare system which has become a regional medical hub haven with convenient access to advanced healthcare especially during the Covid-19 global pandemic and our ongoing battle against cancer.
As The Woodlands continues to offer the best in healthcare for our residents, we invite companies looking to relocate to consider this award-winning master planned community. To view office space opportunities in The Woodlands, visit here.